Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Yelp's Un-censored Review of Yale University (at least not yet)

I visited Sterling Memorial Library and the Yale campus several years ago, and though in some ways I was impressed by the early 20th century collegiate Gothic architecture, in retrospect, having taken a degree in art history, I think that it pales in comparison to Oxbridge (500 years older)--"the real thing," so to speak.

Earlier, I did apply to Yale as an undergraduate and was in awe of the institution. I had a group "interview" at the Washington Athletic Club in Seattle. In the end, I was put on the waiting list.

Now I am wondering if there weren't certain racial quotas in place at the time. In fact, it appears that they have gotten worse at institutions such as this one.

I recently read that Asian-Americans need a 1550 SAT (on the 1600 math/verbal scale) to have an equal chance of getting in to an elite college as a Black student with a score of 1100, according to Thomas Espenshade, Princeton sociologist. White students are similarly discriminated against in favor of blacks and Hispanics.

http://www.weeklystand...

If a college or university wants to raise its average freshmen SAT scores, it admits more Asian-Americans. If it wants diversity, it admits more blacks. (Take for example, Amherst: 13% Asian-American, 13% black, and 13% Hispanic. Dartmouth: 19% Asian-American, 5% black, 5% Hispanic. Yale is somewhere in-between).

What is going on?

What ever happened to the principle of merit (hard work + intelligence + dedication) without regard for the color of one's skin or the shape of one's eyes?

At one time the number of Jews admitted to elite East Coast colleges was strictly limited. It now seems Asians and whites are.

Though wait-listed at the undergraduate college, I did not feel at the time that I was being passed over because the administrators wanted the space to go to an African-American with an academic record distinctly inferior to my own. Now there are actual caps in place, which institutions of higher education refuse to make public.

Yale and other elite institutions (especially Amherst) continue intractably to discriminate. I bet the Obama daughters would still be considered among the group of "disadvantaged minorities" at Yale.

Penn (and sometimes Brown) used to be considered the "armpit of the Ivy League," but Yale, being surrounded by the city of New Haven, actually deserves the crown.

Likewise, the Youtube video put out by the Yale admissions office is one of the tackiest I have ever seen.

No comments:

Post a Comment