Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Sierra Club

Sierra Club
Neighborhood: Queen Anne
Update - 9/11/2008
As good as we have any reason to expect: the Sierra Club.

The importance of the Sierra Club, the leading environmental group in this country, cannot be under-estimated.

An election on both the national and local levels coming up in less than eight weeks is a reminder of all that is at stake--to everyone.

I'm not the most knowledgeable person on environmental issues, but I've been a fan of the Sierra Club for ages.

The members I have interacted with have always struck me as being more than pretty decent: they're not only tree-huggers but caring people as well.

It's only been 7 or 8 years that I've been a member of the local chapter, and I don't attend meetings regularly. But I know they act of interest for the public good without regard to partisanship.

That's okay. I have decided to do some phone bank work in the three weeks before November 2. It's not that difficult, as volunteers contact other members as well as other interested parties, to urge them to vote as well as whom or what to vote for.

So here's my unbashed plug to fellow progressive Seattleites:
In the race for Washington State Commissioner of Public Lands, vote AGAINST Doug Sutherland and FOR his opponent Peter Goldmark.

I heard Peter Goldmark give an impassioned, reasoned speech last night at a Sierra Club event. The incumbent, Mr. Sutherland, receives funds from Weyerhauser and consistently voted for interests of developers.

And Chris Gregoire has shown a lot of spine despite vociferous opposition...the Sierra Club strongly supports her and so should you.

If you have time, volunteer a few hours before the day of reckoning:
http://cascade.sierrac...

Though they have some paid staff, they mostly rely on volunteers.

* * * * *

I don't always vote every four years.

But don't follow my bad example, just follow my advice ("do as I say, not as I do").
Edit Remove
People thought this was:Funny (1)
1 Previous Review: Hide »
6/16/2007First to Review
Good place to learn about environmental issues as well as to volunteer. With global warming coming to the forefront of our national consciousness (even GWB has recently jumped on board, after years of obstruction and denial).

Located on North Queen Anne canal, right on the canal. They often use volunteers to do the phone banks of Sierra Club members before a referendum (for instance, lowering carbon dioxide emissions by raising standards for new cars).

They also sponsor hikes and other outings in the western half of the state.

No comments:

Post a Comment