Thursday, October 31, 2013

I am curious (Do you feel the love, too?)










I am curious.

I am curious as to why the writers and editors of hip newspapers like our local The Stranger feel the need to hard-sell African-Americans and African-American culture.


Week after week, the pages of The Stranger are filled week after week with black people featured in advertisements and in full-length cover stories and columns as well as in plays, films, and music by and about African-Americans (for instance, this week in the film section there were reviews of a documentary on Mohamed Ali and the full-feature "12 Years as a Slave," this on the heels of this year's mega-hits, "The Butler" and "Django Unchained).


Not to forget coverage of sports in this city.


One would think that Seattle were a city of 50% white, 33% black (with the rest a scattering of Hispanics, Asians, Native Americans, Muslims, etc.).


What's there not to like about the swagger, assertiveness, self-pride ("You're pathetic"), humor, 
machismo  ("I'm The Man"), heroic self-pity, ,
truculent defiance, sex appeal ("Me Tarzan, You Jane"), and proud-to-be-loud belly-ache of some African-Americans?

The Stranger is preaching to the choir, so to speak.   Or flogging a dead horse, to use another metaphor.


Or is all the effort meant to be directed to an imagined group of racist white homophobic fascist hillbillies  ("white trash") and a coterie of rich white people in Medina?


Oh, unless The Stranger means that if you don't just love African-Americans as it does, you are very suspect.*


Any hold-outs?



* In the spirit of equality, I wonder to myself how many people would feel obligated to love white people just because they are white, Asians just because they are Asian, Jews because they are Jews (and what happened to the Jewish people during the Holocaust) just because many people do and also strongly believe that others should do as well?

1 comment:

  1. I found your blog through a particularly uninformed and poorly written review on Yelp, where you seem to be fond of writing one star reviews.

    My god, what a ignorant and pointless diary this is. People like you who are not only unlikeable in every way and feel the need to spread their own brand of miserable and boring "thoughts" AND have the audacity to critique things you so clearly know nothing about are what makes this city so often insufferable.

    You don't know how to use a comma and your hyphen over/misuse is shameful. I can only assume that your only "social" outlet is "writing" because no one can stand to actually be in your presence.

    If I believed in superstitious cliches, I might write something about how the universe will correct itself in some way by severing your fingers and or cutting out your tongue, but since I'm not delusional I will just have to find humor in knowing what a disgusting, friendless and just plain stupid sack of human waste you are.

    My advice: don't advertise it.

    P.S. I anxiously await your witty retort, but since I will never read or think about your blog again, I'll just have to dream about it and hope I don't choke to death on my own vomit while unconscious. That probably won't happen, however, because I don''t have to sleep alone.

    ReplyDelete