Wednesday, March 26, 2014

So much for equality










"We demand our rights!"
and "You don't have a right (to speak)."


I am dismayed at out often I hear of how blacks have been denied and/or continue to be denied of freedom when at the same time I witness some African-Americans aggressively precluding others from enjoying the same freedoms that they claim are denied to them by society (white people).

As in being treated with respect.  Or being allowed to express an opinion different from their own.  Or defending their rights.



Whether it's on a bus where a person will take up two seats.  I usually sit on the window side of the double seat to allow others to sit down (next to me).   I witness many African-Americans, and not as many others, will sit next to me--probably because I am of small physical stature.  When and if I get off the bus, I have noticed them then take up both seats, sitting on the outer (aisle) side and putting their belongings on the other (window) side.

Or mercilessly bossing people of a different skin color around.

Or at my health club the other morning I was doing some yoga in a studio when a young black man wearing street clothes decided to lie on the floor on a yoga mat and take a snooze for an hour.  While I had gone out to go to the bathroom, he had apparently woken up and decided the studio would be a nice place just to relax and listen to music as well, but not with his mp3 player but through the studio's sound system.   

I asked him if he could turn it off as this was a yoga classroom (and a place to work-out).  Initially he had said,  "O.K.  Go turn it down yourself."  Minutes later he was accusing me in an angry, confrontational manner of "acting as if I had the right [to have the room quiet/without music."

In fact, it seems that many if not most of the African-Americans seem oblivious to the fact people of other colors and backgrounds may be adversely affected by loud behavior and these same people also have the right to voice their need for a quiet environment free of shouting and screaming.  In the interests of an equal society, it would be nice if everyone were aware of the needs of  other groups and not just their particular group.

I wish I had the right to make a civil request without (fear of) being yelled at.  It seemed as if he had first wanted quiet (and he got it) first.  And then he wanted music "with a beat."  And when he couldn't get it, he got upset, as if his rights were being trampled upon and that I was acting in an imperious fashion.

I have seen this happen to other people, including white women, who usually became very quiet, face ashen, voice trembling, almost pleading or close to tears.

Exactly what I felt that day.  But I tried hard to cover up my distress.  Not let him know I was close to coming unhinged.  (He wants that.  He wants to let me know he is powerful.  As if I doubted it).   

Some people don't have an inkling why others might be afraid of them.  It may not be racism.

And it is not as if the rank-and-file of the African-American community in this country has been especially supportive of rights for other minorities such as gays.   (Their community leaders, whatever the degree to which they have acted out of personal conviction, have in any case made political alliances).

You don't have a right to get angry at me, but I have a right to get angry at you [when you is wrong and you knows i but won't admit it].


So much for equality.
No one in chicken Seattle will speak up, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment