Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Why won't African-Americans support gays?


"Historically, African Americans have not supported gay rights in general and gay marriage in particular in any significant numbers.
Within the community, there are unspoken concerns, particularly among older people, that to accept gays as victims of discrimination somehow diminishes the discrimination blacks have endured."


This is shameful and diminishes the Civil Rights movement of the '60's.

"I still hear people say that I should not be talking about the rights of lesbian and gay people and I should stick to the issue of racial justice. But I hasten to remind them that Martin Luther King Jr. said, 'Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere.' I appeal to everyone who believes in Martin Luther King Jr.'s dream to make room at the table of brother- and sisterhood for lesbian and gay people." 

- Coretta Scott King, widow of Martin Luther King, Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment