Wednesday, August 29, 2012

America's natural resources (water, coal, gasoline, etc.) are not infinite

It goes without saying that America's natural resources (water, coal, etc.) are not infinite, but even in an era where groceries are not permitted to use plastic bags for customers, one might think that this realization has not really sunk into the consciousness of citizens.

Through the grapevine, I have heard the following story:

"At the YMCA, where I am a member and go regularly, I notice a guy, an older African-American, in the shower area who takes 40 minute hot showers and leaves a huge puddle of suds that practically clogs the nearby drain.  He'll go off without turning the shower off and return several minutes later.

Today I noticed him standing between two shower areas, both on and turned at full blast.  He wasn't even really using the other shower.

When  I asked if I were still using that shower head, he said, "yes."  I muttered something about "waste" but did not pursue the matter.

If I had and he had yelled at or threatened me, I imagined that the other guys showering would have said, "Well, you asked for it."   Or "you're not the Y.  Butt out of matters that aren't yours.  It's not your water."

To me, this smacks of 'don't snitch' (especially if the guy, who appears possibly dangerous, had lunged at or taken a swing at me)."


* * * * *

Conserving energy in the 21st century is everyone's responsibility, and this includes historically disadvantaged minorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment